Our sustainable initiatives
We encourage all participants at our shows to be aware of the environmental impact that we all have, and to help us reduce the environmental impact of our shows wherever possible. Here are just some of our sustainable initiatives:
The IMEX Challenge
A bi-annual CSR initiative designed to give meetings industry professionals the chance to work side by side in a physical challenge that will benefit a host community and leave a lasting financial legacy. More information.
- Encouraging attendees to travel by train where possible and offering carbon free train travel to Frankfurt with Deutsche Bahn to all European hosted buyers
- Using bio-diesel buses for 20% of hosted buyer transfers and operating an anti-idling policy for all buses
- Using halls that have a recycling policy
- An estimated 90% of mixed waste at IMEX 2016 was recycled at the Meinhardt recycling plant in Frankfurt, the remainder was incinerated, with the energy created used to generate free power for the local community
- 95% recyclable polypropylene carpets are used in the hall
- Badge lanyards are made from 100% recycled PET
- The paper badge stock is from post consumer waste and recyclable, the badge holders are recyclable
- We provide reusable, recyclable polypropylene visitor bags
- Using recyclable, recycled or sustainable source paper, whenever possible when producing IMEX materials
- Reducing paper consumption in the office and on site. We are proud to have been awarded a certificate of recycling for paper from our head office recycling contractors, saving the equivalent of 35 trees in 2015
- Continually introducing new initiatives to reduce the waste at IMEX
We aim to provide you with the opportunity to increase your awareness and knowledge of environmental and social responsibility through our education. At IMEX 2016 we ran sustainability tours from the Inspiration Hub supported by Uptalsboom Hotels, Stuttgart Convention Bureau, German Convention Bureau and MCI Group
IMEX was the first meetings industry exhibition to offer hydroelectricity to exhibitors throughout the show including build-up and breakdown. Each year we are awarded a certificate of hydroelectricity usage from Messe Frankfurt.
The IMEX-GMIC Green Awards have been rewarding outstanding sustainability practices in the meetings industry since 2003. The Green Meetings Award, Green Supplier Award and the Commitment to the Community Award are all presented at the IMEX Gala Dinner. More information.