Our sustainable initiatives
We encourage all participants at our shows to be aware of the environmental impact that we all have, and to help us reduce the environmental impact of our shows wherever possible. Here are just some of our sustainable initiatives:
The IMEX Challenge
A bi-annual CSR initiative designed to give meetings industry professionals the chance to work side by side in a physical challenge that will benefit a host community and leave a lasting financial legacy. More information.
- Encouraging attendees to travel by train where possible and offering carbon free train travel to Frankfurt with Deutsche Bahn to all European hosted buyers
- Using bio-diesel buses for 20% of hosted buyer transfers and operating an anti-idling policy for all buses
Carbon neutral hosted buyer flights
- Thanks to Costa Rica 24,503 trees will carbon offset 5,300 tons of CO2 for all hosted buyer flights and shuttle buses
- Using halls that have a recycling policy
- Running a Waste Watcher donation programme with ShoutOutLoud. Collecting food and materials from the show that would otherwise be thrown away, and diverting them to those in need
- An estimated 90% of mixed waste at IMEX 2016 was recycled at the Meinhardt recycling plant in Frankfurt, the remainder was incinerated, with the energy created used to generate free power for the local community
- 95% recyclable polypropylene carpets are used in the hall
- Badge lanyards are made from 100% recycled PET; badges are made from recycled paper and are recyclable; badge holders are recyclable too
- We provide reusable, recyclable polypropylene visitor bags
- Using recyclable, recycled or sustainable source paper, whenever possible when producing IMEX materials
- Reducing paper consumption in the office and on site. We are proud to have been awarded a certificate of recycling for paper from our head office recycling contractors, saving the equivalent of 35 trees in 2015
- We no longer print show catalogues saving 2.7 tons of paper
- Continually introducing new initiatives to reduce the waste at IMEX
We aim to provide you with the opportunity to increase your awareness and knowledge of environmental and social responsibility through our education.
IMEX was the first meetings industry exhibition to offer hydroelectricity to exhibitors throughout the show including build-up and breakdown. From 2017 all energy used during the show is hydroelectricity. Each year we're awarded a certificate of hydroelectricity usage from Messe Frankfurt.
The IMEX-GMIC Green Awards have been rewarding outstanding sustainability practices in the meetings industry since 2003. The IMEX-GMIC Innovation in Sustainability Award is presented at the IMEX Gala Dinner. More information.